Monday, May 29, 2006

My First Post

My first post in my first blog.

Decided to create this blog as a sort of document my own thoughts about the place I live in. What I'm pleased about, what I'm unhappy about.

A place online, where I can collate and show what I have found from other sources of the internet regarding whats going on here in Singapore. Mainly, oppression in Singapore. A subject matter that I have been struggling with since secondary school more than decade ago.

Oppression in my experience as a lower-middle class cititzen, has been ingrained in citizens since their very first day in school. For example, school uniforms, hairstyles etc.. An effort in cloning students. Students who were resistant to such confoming were usually branded troublemakers. Students who submitted to such conformity would have been used to it and then continue to conform unquestioningly, even throughout their adult lives.

As a secondary school student, I once asked my form teacher "Why can't males have long hair, as long as male students were subjected to the same rules of 'neatness' and presentaion as females students?" "As long as we keep it from being unruly, why are we not allowed to have longer hair?" I know of a particular rather repuatable secondary school near the Bedok interchange area who had a principal in the early 1990s or late 1980s, that went round the school starching boys hairs that parted in the middle....

Have our citizens been so used to conforming that we don't doubt it anymore? That we just accept it as a "fact of life" here in this little island state?

No comments: