Saturday, September 08, 2007

Centrepoint's "Black Saturday".

I arrived at Centrepoint around 3:40pm. Saw SDP's "roadshow" as I drove past, before turning left into the carpark. I did think to myself, "hmm, no surprise they are here, hope they don't hijack the black 'event' tho."

I think SDP was courteous enough to packup their roadshow and change in black at 4pm sharp. Whether the courtesy was intended or not, as one of those in black, I "tip my hat" to you.

As I watched the SDP folks pack up, I overheard a youngish looking female reporter asking someone nearby (in black with a zoom len expensive looking Digi Cam with a companion dressed in white Tshirt) "But you are wearing black, why?" or something like that. The guy just insisted that he was a concerned passerby or something like that.

At around 4:15pm, I was strolling around the 2nd and 3rd stories. There was definitely a slightly higher number of people wearing black at centerpoint on Saturday 8 Sept. I did exchange smiles with some at the entrance, although there was this chap at the entrance in a White England Soccer Jersey who was people-watching with a grumpy look on his face, like he’s weekend was burnt. =P
High enough number of black clothing to call it abnormal, perhaps not. Did they all disagree with the compulsory annuity? I don’t know for sure. But going around spotting the plainclothes did provide some free entertainment while my date went shopping at Mango and Gap. Also some amusement much later, to see Uncle Yap with his cellphone snapping away at “middle aged men” who were loitering in groups or 2’s and 3’s.

I proceeded to the basement to see what were the Chee's up to. From afar, they looked like they are surrounded by reporters at MacDonald's. (Including 2 -3 Caucasians with huge zoom lens cams)

Went back up to the ground floor a while later, spent a short while walking up and down the mall, spotted a plainclothes a the top, with a walkie, who spent most of his time there on a wooden bench, looking down.

It was past 5:20, and I thought of leaving, after watching 4-5 of the plainclothes take a smokebreak (I think only the one posted at the top floor smoked) next to the taxi stand. Oh and Grumpy in the england jearsy was still at the entrance together with his chinese colleague.

So I thought, ok walk through the mall one last time to add my presence. l went through the basement, saw the CNA female reporter, looking somewhat exasperated. Hopefully she did get something to publish. I proceeded upstairs via the escalator, and started walking near or next to people who wore black. Standing next to a guy who was wearing black, just to add to the black presence.

Then I noticed there was a "black presence" in front of the Cultural Musical performance. See pic below. Ok, so I thought, ok I'll watch and add to the "Blackness". Guess what, the plainsclothes taking a break at the taxi stand all came back in, surrounding the "performance". 2 were watching from behind the stage, leaning on the railing at the escalators. 2 were on the right of the audience, on the 2nd floor, leaning on the railings. And a youngish looking skinhead was watching from the mooncake/pastry booths.

When the performance ended, I proceeded to Macs to get a drink, saw a group of like 5-6 black at Macs, thought of taking a photo, but then thought better of it. I then departed CP after that with my date for dinner. All in all, I think, it felt good. Hopefully the press did get something.

Success or not, largely depends on your point of view or expectations. If one expected this event to actually steer Government polices, then its was not really much of a success to speak about.

But then again, steering Government polices is not something that the people (who wore black to centrepoint yesterday afternoon) wanted or expected to achieve isn't it? Taking action to show or pass on a message of disagreement or objection to government polices, is still at its infancy here in Singapore. Even an alien concept to some.

In my opinion, this event is just another milestone in the political maturity of Citizens here in Singapore, where people who actually disagree but more than often, end up saying : "Aiyah, protest also no use. Its the Government leh".

A message of disagreement or objection to a policy or Government decision, does not have to end in violence, or even breaking the Law.

I hope this even will build in momentum, generate more awareness that Singaporeans actually have a say, and can say something, other than “Yes” to the Government, in an ever so slightly more assertive manner.

To all those who came in black, don't give up, even if the press brushes this of as nothing. Even if the government or anyone comes out and call this a pointless endeavour. Do not back down, continue to spread the word. The Government will do all it can to discred it even, do not let negative press of the event discourage you from participating further.

Just as importantly, do not be goaded or baited into more extreme or confrontational practices, in future similar events. Keep it as it is, but help the numbers grow, generate awareness, spread the word. Keep the event peaceful and non-confrontational.

I propose the same thing, same time, same place, same colour on 15/09. Hopefully we Singaporeans can get things moving, and keep the momemtun building.


I was aiming for the Chinese cultural performance on the right, guess my aim was a little off.

No comments: