Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Privacy in Singapore?

Ok so its been year since my last post... maybe I should use this blog as a personal collection of information or links to information that show how draconian and opressive the PAP can be here in Singapore. Like my own little collection of notes.

Recently a quote by MM Lee can come to my attention via the human rights forum held here in April.

"I am often accused of interfering in the private lives of citizens. Yet, if I did not, had I not done that, we wouldn’t be here today. And I say without the slightest remorse, that we wouldn’t be here, we would not have made economic progress, if we had not intervened on very personal matters – who your neighbor is, how you live, the noise you make, how you spit, or what language you use. We decide what is right, never mind what the people think. That’s another problem."

CSJ : paraphrase - "If you are going to interfere with the lives of citizens to that degree, how can you then turn around and say that the poverty situation in Singapore today is not the business of the government?"

Is this what the leader of our nation thinks of our privacy? Isn't it akin to a CEO who attempts to micro manage his company?

No comments: